Monday, December 26, 2011

Songs that drove me crazy this year

Last year, I compiled a list of songs that, in my opinion, were either so bad or so overplayed that they became totally unbearable. I thought to myself that perhaps I should make this a yearly tradition. No disrespect to any hard-working musician out there but there are times when I switch on the radio and hear something that is much too galling for my palette. I might as well give you the reasons why I feel this way since not everyone has the same taste in music.

1. 'Firework' by Katy Perry

Katy Perry's songs are usually fun and catchy but this one, to me, is so irksome that whenever I hear it I want to jam my fingers into my ears and into my brain and just poke at it because I'm pretty sure it won't be as painful as listening to this tune. I know it came out late last year (October 2010) but it still got plenty of airplay this year so I might as well count it as a 2011 song. Plus, it missed the cut in last year's blog. And the guys at the NRL were considering on turning this into the theme song of the 2011 NRL Season? Oh, please! The only thing worse than corny sports highlights would be corny sports highlights with this turkey blaring in the background.

2. 'Party Rock Anthem' by LMFAO

No disrespect to these guys but what the hell were they thinking when they came up with their band name? Never mind, that's for another discussion. But I have to say, I've yet to hear a song of theirs that I could actually listen to in full without switching stations. Ok, maybe because I'm not a fan of dance music and therefore I cannot appreciate these guys, but all their songs sound the same to me - loud, voices that are probably autotuned and singing about the same thing over and over again. But then again, could I expect anything diffrerent from guys who call themselves 'LMFAO'? I chose 'Party Rock Anthem' to add to this list because it's really the only song of theirs that gets a lot of airplay and therefore one that I have to hear every time I switch on the radio.

3. 'Beautiful people' by Chris Brown and Benny Benassi

Look at the lyrics to this song and what do you see? The words 'beautiful', 'don't you know' and 'know' repeated over and over with several other words thrown in and accompanied by dreadful sounds and music in the background. While this song has a positive message, it's execution is nothing short of excruciating. Lame beats, annoying music and those REPETITIVE lyrics. Seriously, it makes singer Chris Brown sound as though he had only learned a certain number of words in his lifetime.

4. 'Price tag' by Jessie J

I don't actually hate this song. It's catchy, upbeat and has a powerful message. Unfortunately, it was sorely overplayed at its peak and so went from being a good song into an annoying one. It wouldn't have been strange to have it play on the radio twice in one hour and while I understand that it's what tends to happen to songs when they become hits, it also makes them mundane and unbearable. Sorry, Jessie.

5. 'Friday' by Rebecca Black

Does anyone remember that 'Crazy Frog Song' in 2005? It was exasperating and meaningless yet somehow it shot to number one in most music charts. At the same time, it was widely voted the worst song of 2005. 'Friday' by Becca Black is the same. It didn't exactly top the charts, but voting it as the worst song of the year was a no-brainer.
Where do you start in describing just how bad this song is? The beats and the music are lame, the lyrics are cheesy ('Partyin partyin, yeah! Partyin partyin, yeah! fun, fun, fun, fun', OUCH!!!!)and Black's auto-tuned voice makes you want to shove broken glass into your ears. Let's just say that when I sat down and listened to this song I switched it off at the first chorus.


Well, there you have it. Of course, I know some of you might read this and completely disagree but like I said, this is my opinion. Let's see what 2012 has to offer.....

No comments:

Post a Comment